Monday, January 17, 2011

Review: Awakened (House of Night #8) by P.C. and Kristin Cast




First off I would like to apologize to this book and it's authors b/c I thought Kalona was on the cover when it is in fact REPHAIM lol

oh man oh man 

I am lacking some serious brain cells!

Now on to my review!

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
Awakened by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast



  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 304 pages
  • Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin; First Edition edition (January 4, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • Rating:
Photobucket


At the start of Awakened, the pulse-pounding eighth installment of the bestselling House of Night series, Zoey has returned, mostly whole, from the Otherworld to her rightful place as High Priestess at the House of Night. Her friends are just glad to have her back, but after losing her human consort, Heath, will Zoey—or her relationship with her super- hot Warrior, Stark—ever be the same? Stevie Rae is drawn even closer to Rephaim, the Raven Mocker with whom she shares a mysterious and powerful Imprint, but he is a dangerous secret that isolates her from her school, her red fledglings, and even her best friends. When the dark threat of Neferet—who is coming closer and closer to achieving her twisted goal of immortality—and Kalona returns, what will it take to keep the House of Night from being lost forever, and what will one desperate girl do to keep her heart from being irreparably broken?

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

I was hoping that this book would refresh my love for the series but in the end it didn't come anywhere close to it.

The theme of this book is "Love".

Towards then end it's everywhere and I was pretty much rolling my eyes at every mention of it. lol I "love" books that are about love but in this book it was too forced. 

Awakened opens up from Neferet's POV which was nice b/c lets face it everyone loves a bad girl but man do I hate that character. She's totally bipolar in this book and actually succumbs to "Darkness" on a very very intimate level.

Can you say Ew!

Language is everywhere in this book as are sexual encounters and while they're no where near being as graphic as some... *I* personally think that it cheapens the book. Better than the infamous "fade to black" created by Stephanie Meyer tho so kudos for that. 

The highlights of this book would be (*SPOILERS*)

1. Zoey is now exclusively with Stark. Little does she know that Kalona is sharing his soul with Stark. So he can play peek-a-boo inside of Stark's head while he's getting his freak on with Z.

2. Poor Jack is killed by Neferet and of course no one can prove it. Also, she spends most of the book thinking she pretty much owns Kalona when in fact she doesn't and finds out at the end.

3. Stevie Rae's relationship with Rephaim is finally outed.

4. Nyx pays everyone a visit.

5. There's big dis on Anita Blake and Laurell K. Hamilton. Which *IMO* was lame. So so so lame.  Especially since half of the book is dedicated to Glee. Ugh.

6. Heath is coming back...not as Heath but as a soulless, mindless, slave to do Neferet's evil doing. Oh, joy!

Don't even get me started on the stereotypes that are in this book. Tasteless is the only thing that comes to mind. Especially in regards to Kramisha. 

I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting older but this books are becoming very unappealing to me. I really enjoyed the first four but after those I haven't found one that I thoroughly enjoyed...yet.
Destined is the next book in the series and even though I'll still end up buying it I really have zero faith in this series redeeming itself. Zoey didn't have any creditable character development in this book and Stevie Rae (IMO) is becoming way more interesting esp now that her relationship with Rephaim is out in the open. No one even gets a new tattoo in this installment lol that was something that I always looked forward too.

I guess when it comes down to it I think the authors are doing it for the money instead doing the series/characters any justice. I, of course, could be totally wrong but as a fan/reader I do not see the passion that they put into the characters in books 1-4 anymore. I'm curious to see how they plan on making four more books out of this mess of a plot and there's always the small bit of hope that I have that the series can redeem itself but at this point in time it's like watching (reading) a train wreck. 

I really hate having to give this book just one skull but that's being nice.

On a brighter note, I hope everyone has a great Monday!

Photobucket

0 comments: